Monday, September 9, 2013

Steel City Pops

I am slow getting this post done. I have visited the newest Tuscaloosa sweet treat option, Steel City Pops, three times now and I just remembered to take pictures on this last visit. Oops. Steel City Pops opened a little over a month ago in downtown Tuscaloosa. The location on University Boulevard across from City Hall is conveniently located.

Steel City Pops may be new to TTown, but they have been around Birmingham for a while. I visited the location in Homewood once before so I knew the quality popsicle I was going to get. The location here has a giant chalkboard giving you the flavor options available. They have fruity and creamy. The favors change some with some constants and some that come and go. For one pop, you will pay $3.00. It's not a cheap treat, but it's competitive with what I would pay for ice cream, yogurt, a cupcake or cookies most anywhere else in town. And, I know these are homemade, made with quality ingredients and fairly healthy, as a dessert goes. :)

So,  on this visit I had a fruity pop and so did my friend. Before this visit, I had gotten the coconut, peach, and buttermilk. This time I had the cucumber lime.  The fruity and creamy are basically what you would think. The creamy is a little thicker and heavier but oh so yummy. The coconut is my favorite so far. But, in the hot heat of August, the cucumber lime was very refreshing and a light and delicious option. Neither the cucumber or the lime flavor was overpowering. I thought it was great. 


My friend had the sweet tea pop. Online, it said this was made with sweet tea, duh, and lemon zest.  She was worried the lemon would be too powerful, but she was really pleased and loved her selection.

What a cool new spot in town. You could go daily for weeks and still not have tasted all the flavors. But, it would be fun to try. I think my next flavor to try may be avocado. It just sounds so interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment